Deadline to turn in books: Friday, March 1, 2019
Celebration: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 7:00 PM
Location: Cooke Hall, Highlands Latin School, 10901 Shelbyville Rd.
The 2019 Young Authors Contest is open to all homeschool students in grades 1-12.
*Books will be divided into 5 different grade divisions (1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-6th, 7th-9th, 10th-12th).
*A winner and two honorary mentions will be awarded for each grade division.
*All participants will be given a Certificate of Participation and are invited (with their families) to the celebration on March 19. More details will follow as we get closer to that event.
Rules and Guidelines
· Each work should be the sole work of one student. We understand that parents desire to help and aid their children toward success, but we want to be clear that we aren’t looking for perfect works of art but a true young author’s original work of fiction.
· Parents are allowed to help with typing the final draft, but please include “Typed by: Parent’s Name” on the front of the book.
· All writings should be an original work of fiction.
· Be sure to include the student’s name and grade on the front cover.
· Students should follow the Writing Process by first brainstorming their ideas, creating a rough draft, revising their rough draft with the help of their peers and/or teacher, and creating a final draft in book form. Only the final draft will be submitted.
· All students 1st-4th grade must illustrate their stories. Illustrations can be drawn, painted, computer illustrated, or even made using magazine cutouts. Creativity is encouraged and considered during judging.
· All students must bind their final draft into book form. This can be done as simply as with a hole punch and ribbon or as technical as having it printed into an actual book by a local or online printing service.
· The length of the story is up to the discretion of the author. We have had stories as short as a few sentences as well as novels.
· Submissions are due by Friday, March 1, 2019.
To Submit a Book:
There are several options for submitting your work:
· Mail it directly to me: Keri Brown, 211 Stillwood Court, Louisville, KY 40223.
· Bring it to me at Café 920 at the Blankenbaker campus of Southeast Christian from 2:30-5:00 or 7:00-8:00 on Thursday, February 28.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .