Greetings from the Speed Art Museum!
As the school year begins to wind down, I’m beginning to look ahead to the summer and next school year. Here are some activities at the Speed that may be of interest to you or the families you interact with. As always, feel free to share this email and my contact information with anyone you would like.
- Youth Workshops (and Adult Workshops): Check out the clay workshop for 5-7 year olds on May 14th. Click the links at the bottom of the page to access other workshop dates and descriptions: http://www.speedmuseum.org/event/youth-workshop-explore-art-3d-creations-ages-5-7/ There is a fee for these workshops.
- Preschool Drop-In Tours: The next on is on May 15 with other listed at the bottom of this link: http://www.speedmuseum.org/event/planet-preschool-drop-in-tour-feelings-tour/ These are included with museum admission.
- Family Fun Day: May 21 10am-5pm included with admission. Listen to storytellers outside the Kentucky gallery, team up on a scavenger hunt, enjoy Bluegrass music, participate in a community art project, and chat with living legends and historical figures. http://www.speedmuseum.org/event/events/category/family-fun/
- Art Detectives and school tours: For groups of 10 or more children, contact Anna Alger at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve dates now for the upcoming school year. To see a list of available collections for Art Detectives field trips, go to http://www.speedmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Art-Detectives-Crate-Descriptions.pdf For more information about school tours, go to: http://www.speedmuseum.org/learn/school-teacher/school-tours/
- Exhibitions: Until July 17th, there’s a remarkable exhibit of photographs inspired by the Bluegrass State http://www.speedmuseum.org/exhibitions/photography-from-the-university-of-louisville/ If you have middle and high school students who are shutterbugs, take time to enjoy this exhibit. From Sept 10-November 27, 2016 , the Speed will be hosting Out of the Box: The Rise of Sneaker Culture http://www.speedmuseum.org/exhibitions/out-of-the-box-the-rise-of-the-sneaker-culture/ .
- Curriculum: Remember that the Speed collection can provide a visual bridge for just about any history topic/era you are studying. If you would like to visit the Speed and don’t know where to start, feel free to email me and I’d be glad to brainstorm with you. I continue to be amazed at the breadth of the art the Speed has and the myriad of ways that it can be used to teach and reinforce concepts.
- Online resources: Our web site provides photographs of a number of the pieces in our collection by category. Looking at these images can be helpful preparation for coming to the museum. Not all pieces pictured are on display but many are: http://www.speedmuseum.org/collections/ Also, if you are studying KY history, visit the Kentucky collection at the Speed, but our web site also provides a link to the KY Online Arts Resource which documents KY art beyond the holdings of the Speed: http://www.speedmuseum.org/collections/koar-placeholder If you want to plan your trip, check out this online map of the Speed: http://42l9x93l42oi2vqtshg3va1s.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/map.pdf
- Owsley Sundays: Make the most of free admission on Sundays. If Sundays are not a good day for you to visit the museum, consider buying a membership to enable you to visit the museum as often as you’d like. A family membership is $100 (regardless of how many children you have). http://www.speedmuseum.org/support/membership/
- Cinema: The film curator sent me the following information about upcoming films for children. Check them out to see if they are something your family would enjoy.
On Owsley Free Sundays, we’ll have THE WAY THING GO screening for free at 1 and 2 pm. It’s a great mix of science, physics and art. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQW7F_yXOZ4
The weekend of May 20-22, we’ll have the new animated children’s film APRIL AND THE EXTRAORDINARY WORLD. https://youtu.be/utn3AuutXVk (additional fee to attend)
On the May 21 Family Day, I’ll screen the Oscar-nominated animated film SONG OF THE SEA at 10:30 am. https://youtu.be/HgbXWt8kM5Q (additional fee to attend)